Friday 15 November 2013

Robert F. Kennedy - University of Kansas

 
This is another Robert F. Kennedy´s Speech. He talks about the war of Vietnam, poverty and unemployment in America, and obviously  , it has the three elements of a speech : logos, ethos and pathos

I especially like the way he speaks about poverty , he does so about the minute 13 ," I have seen children in the Delta area of Mississippi with distended stomachs, whose faces are covered with sores from starvation, and we haven't developed a policy so we can get enough food so that they can live, so that their children, so that their lives are not destroyed, I don't think that's acceptable in the United States of America and I think we need a change.
    
I have seen Indians living on their bare and meagre reservations, with no jobs, with an unemployment rate of 80 percent,and with so little hope for the future, so little hope for the future that for young people, for young men and women in their teens, the greatest cause of death amongst them is suicide. (...)
I have seen the people of the black ghetto, listening to ever greater promises of equality and of justice, as they sit in the same decaying schools and huddled in the same filthy rooms - without heat - warding off the cold and warding off the rats.

He uses repetitions, anaphora in this example, "I don't want to be part of a government, I don't want to be part of the United States, I don't want to be part of the American people, and have them write of us as they wrote of Rome: "They made a desert and they called it peace.", quotations; George Bernard Shaw once wrote, "Some people see things as they are and say why?  I dream things that never were and say, why not?", and, of course a "huge "end.

No comments:

Post a Comment